Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Minor Resolutions

So I went to Mexico. I've been back for a week, and yet I still feel incapable of writing it justice. That is, it was a short trip, but packed full with experiences. Beyond the clinics, children's programs and haircuts, God worked in some sweet ways.

A couple of years ago, I spent a solid chunk of my summer in a big Asian country with a campus ministry. While there, we worked primarily with college students and studied the language (as stated on our visas). Regardless of how much I desired to see this nation come to know Christ, I was constantly frustrated and exhausted by the culture. On so many levels, the culture there wore on my every single nerve. So I left with a burden for spreading the fame of my Savior, and yet I also left feeling discouraged about the possibilities of returning.

This trip to Mexico, although much shorter and sheltered, gave me hope for a possible stint overseas. I have no idea what that will look like, but I left Mexico feeling like I could and would adjust to life in a Hispanic culture more quickly than in an Asian one. Maybe I am just familiar with the culture, but I loved this week.



In Other Completely-Unrelated News: Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer came out Friday at midnight. Although I did not go to any of the wait parties, I have already purchased the book and am making my way through the last volume of my favorite werewolves and vampires.

2 comments:

Schellhase said...

I like the new blog design.

Wes said...

I wouldn't exactly call deciding that you could possibly live life in a foreign country a "minor resolution." Waaahooo for Latin America!