Monday, October 13, 2008

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

I taught Order of Operations on Wednesday of last week. Actually, I should say my great aunt Sally taught order of operations. I realize it has been awhile since most of you worked sixth grade math problems, so here's your refresher course: parentheses, exponents, multiply/divide, add/subtract. Thus, Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

Ms. Dean happened to have a "emergency math meeting" that morning, because we ALL know how often those happen.

Here's a picture of my Aunt Sally as well as the Aunt Sally for both the Explorer's and the Pro's teams. What a coincidence!
Now, I must emphasis that I had several students who genuinely didn't realize that it was me behind the pillow butt and grey/blue hair. When I walked into school on the following Thursday one of my students says, and I quote,

Andrew -- "Ms. Dean! Your grandma was here yesterday!"
Me -- "Nope, it was my Aunt."
Andrew -- "Oh yeah, Aunt Sally!"

And he was NOT joking. Oh kids...

3 comments:

Kelsea said...

this cracks me up--You are such a good teacher. I miss you!

Brian said...

I love it! You should be Aunt Sally for halloween.

In my study skills presentation I give to freshman I talk about ways to remember things and Aunt Sally is one I talk about.

I use a powerpoint that my boss created. I read through it before my first presentation and realized she had written on the slide "Please excuse our dear Aunt Sally"

I politely asked her what the "o" in "our" stood for...

Taylorius said...

I wish Aunt Sally went to the Grove.