Saturday, August 18, 2007

Open House

After two weeks of meetings, I'm more than ready to start. On Thursday evening we had open house at the school. The combination of meeting students, new school shirts and the realization that I am a REAL teacher (FINALLY!) had me giddy with excitement. Here are my two favorite moments of the evening:

1. At the beginning of the evening started with a meeting in the auditorium where administration welcomed new parents and students to the school. Then as the principal finished her initial introductions the translator began. Although this may not sound like an overly exciting event, I got teary-eyed as I almost heard, "Here ya go, Cara. The nations are at your door. Its time to start loving them." PS - Last I heard, my school is about 57% English Language Learners (ELL).

2. As I finished my shpeel for my advanced Pre-Algebra class, I met the father of a student. He was beeming from ear to ear and told me about his son, in broken English. "He in this class, because he good at math!" I said, "Yes, yes!" I'm so stinkin' excited about getting to know my students and their families.

1 comment:

erinelizabeth said...

yay! that's so exciting. i kind of teared up a little at the story about the dad. yay, cara, you're a teacher now!!