Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas Research


On the way to Black Friday crowds, my dad and I were trying to find ways to justify the wheelchair in the back of the car. We had planned this day for weeks, maybe months and we were not about to give up the plan of a fabulous shopping day just because my knee happened to heal faster than expected.

{Originally, I expected to need the wheelchair due to knee surgery, however, I had been walking - with a limp - for several days.}

My dad and I have started shopping the Black Friday sales in the last couple years, mostly for the laughs. People are crazy and we like to witness the craziness. So this year, due to my situation, we borrowed a wheelchair from my parents church, and decided to answer the research question: Are people generally nicer to the wheelchair bound?

I did put the huge leg immobilizer on to make it look a little more legitimate. I did have trouble not laughing multiple times, though, because Dad decided it would be wise to run with me in tow through the parking lot. Also, I felt like a fraud, but...

Anyway, the results: People definitely stare, then quickly avert their eyes, then decide to smile at the wheelchair bound. But the crowds parted like the Red Sea! It was incredible how many "excuse me's" we got. We also got lots of offers for help at Best Buy and even a concerned Best Buy worker asked me what happened. When we went to Lowe's without the wheelchair, no such luck. Busy workers who walked right by us trying to ask for help.

Thus, I highly recommend wheelchair use during holiday shopping.

1 comment:

leah marie. said...

what a social scientist you are!